Our Expert Team of Eye Doctors Delivers Life-changing Results
The SightMD® team of eye doctors in Long Island, NY, represents unparalleled industry expertise. When you visit one of our offices, you can expect the highest quality of service and the most technologically advanced treatment methods currently available. Our practitioners have a diverse breadth of experience in a wide range of specialties. Therefore, we can offer our patients comprehensive, state-of-the-art care.
Our Executive Board
- John Passarelli, M.D. - President
- Jeffrey Martin, M.D. - CEO
- Lawrence Buono, M.D.
- Raju Sarwal, M.D.
- Aaron Avni, M.D.
- Lawrence Zweibel, M.D.
John Passarelli, M.D.
Dr. Passarelli, SightMD® President and ophthalmic surgeon, specializes in microsurgical cataract and vision correction. With over 30 years of experience, he has performed LASIK surgery since it was FDA-approved in 1995. He lectures on refractive surgery around the U.S.
Jeffrey L. Martin, M.D.
Dr. Martin is the CEO of SightMD® and a LASIK and cataract specialist. He serves as Chief of Ophthalmology at St. Catherine of Siena Hospital, and is the managing partner of North Shore Eye Care. He also works as an assistant clinical professor at the State University of New York Stony Brook.
Lawrence Zweibel, M.D.
Dr. Zweibel, clinical instructor at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, has served as a partner at North Shore Eye Care for over 25 years.
“The team of experts at SightMD® possesses the knowledge and experience necessary to assess and treat virtually any disease or condition of the eye.”
- Paul A. Choinski, M.D.- Dr. Choinski has more than 20 years of medical and surgical experience. He specializes in cataract surgery, refractive surgery, and glaucoma treatment.
- David Immanuel, M.D.- Dr. Immanuel, cornea specialist and surgeon, also teaches and supervises surgical residents at Nassau University Medical Center.
- Lawrence M. Buono, M.D.- Dr. Buono completed a fellowship in neuro-ophthalmology, and specializes in glaucoma and ophthalmic surgery, including complex cataract surgery.
- John Mauro D.O.- Dr. Mauro specializes in LASIK and cataract surgery, as well as treating patients with autoimmune disorders and ocular inflammatory disease.
- William Kasper, M.D.- Dr. Kasper serves as the Emeritus Acting Chairman of Winthrop-University Hospital’s Department of Ophthalmology, in addition to training residents at Nassau County Medical Center. He specializes in the early diagnosis and treatment of ocular disorders.
- Stephen Greenberg, M.D.- With over 40 years of experience practicing ophthalmology, Dr. Greenberg excels at treating all varieties of eye disease and performing ocular surgery.
- Grace M. O'Malley, M.D.- Dr. O’Malley performs eyelid surgery and cosmetic procedures including blepharoplasty and BOTOX®. She also treats cataracts, glaucoma, and external diseases of the eye.
- Michael Gold, M.D.- Dr. Gold, practitioner and clinical instructor, has worked as a comprehensive ophthalmologist since 1988. He specializes in cataract surgery, laser eye surgery, and glaucoma prevention.
- Paul Sforza, M.D.- Dr. Sforza served as chief of corneal surgery at SUNY-Downstate Medical School until 2000. He performs a variety of eye care treatments and surgeries, specializing in corneal and refractive surgery.
- Christine Speer Buono, M.D.- In addition to performing eyelid procedures and laser eye surgery for glaucoma and cataracts, Dr. Buono has expertise in treating allergic, herpetic, and diabetic eye diseases.
- Faye Knoll, M.D.- Dr. Knoll is a cornea and external disease specialist. Her areas of expertise include keratoplasty, cataract surgery, refractive surgery, and anterior segment reconstruction.
- Samuel Baharestani, M.D.- Ophthalmic plastic surgeon Dr. Baharestani pairs the cosmetic principles of plastic surgery with innovative microsurgical techniques to achieve stunning aesthetic results.
- Michelle Liebert, M.D.- Pediatric ophthalmologist and strabismus surgeon Dr. Liebert specializes in all aspects of pediatric care. She also works with children with special needs, including attention-deficit disorder, autism, and Down syndrome.
- Kathleen Van Valkenburg, M.D.- With over 20 years of clinical, educational, and surgical experience, Dr. Van Valkenburg focuses on comprehensive ophthalmology and ophthalmic surgery for families.
- Andrew Bainnson, M.D.- Practicing since 1994, Dr. Bainnson specializes in glaucoma and general ophthalmology. He received his fellowship training in glaucoma and anterior segment surgery at the University of Michigan.
- Edward Riegel, M.D.- Dr. Riegel, with over 20 years of experience in the field, has performed thousands of microsurgical procedures. He specializes in micro-laser surgery, as well as surgery for cataracts and corneal pterygium.
- Sergiu Marcus, M.D., Ph.D.- Dr. Marcus earned his doctorate at Rockefeller University and completed a retinal fellowship at The Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He specializes in vitreo-retinal disorders of the eye.
- Raju Sarwal, M.D.- Specializing in the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma and cataracts, Dr. Sarwal speaks regularly to practicing physicians from across the nation on ophthalmology and glaucoma.
- Aaron Avni, M.D.- Dr. Avni is a comprehensive ophthalmologist with a special interest in cataracts and implant surgery, refractive surgery (including LASIK), and glaucoma management.
- Victor Giamos, M.D.- Dr. Giamos provides general ophthalmological care and cataract and LASIK surgery to his patients. His research includes the study of intraocular lens implants as well as emergency medicine and eye injuries.
- Neil Nichols, M.D.- Dr. Nichols is an oculoplastic surgeon, specializing in oculofacial plastic surgery and reconstructive surgery. He completed his fellowship training in corneal and refractive surgery.
- Edward Marcus, M.D.- Dr. Marcus received fellowship training in vitreo-retinal surgery. He specializes in the medical and surgical management of retinal diseases, as well as the treatment of inflammatory and infectious eye diseases.
- Shetal Shah, M.D.- Dr. Shah, cornea specialist and comprehensive ophthalmologist, focuses on the treatment of corneal diseases, LASIK surgery, and cataract surgery.
- Carmine Morabito, M.D.- Practicing for over 40 years, Dr. Morabito performs a wide range of procedures and surgeries for all types of diseases of the eye. He formerly served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a Medical Officer.
- Sandra S. Ahn-Lee, M.D.- Working closely with family doctors in the community, Dr. Ahn-Lee is a pediatric ophthalmologist who specializes in the treatment of strabismus in children and adults.
- Glen D. Scibilia, M.D.- Dr. Scibilia has practiced ophthalmology for over 20 years, with specialties in cataract surgery, treatment of the cornea and external diseases, and anterior segment surgery.
- Charles R. Beyrer, M.D.- Since completing his residencies at the New York Eye Ear Infirmary and St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Dr. Beyrer has focused on general ophthalmology and diseases of the retina.
- Edward M. Baron, M.D.- Assistant professor and director of ophthalmology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine Jacobi Medical Center, Dr. Baron specializes in neuro-ophthalmology, strabismus, oculoplastics, and orbital disease.
- Stephen A. Lewen, M.D.- Since graduating from the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University, Dr. Lewen has practiced ophthalmology in New York for over 30 years.
- Philip M. Aries, M.D.- Dr. Aries completed his training at the New York Medical College and Nassau University Medical Center. He provides comprehensive ophthalmologic care to his patients.
- Brad Kligman, M.D.- Dr. Kligman specializes in general care as well as treatment of the cornea and external diseases. He completed his residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital after graduating from NYU School of Medicine.
- Brian T. McGuinness, M.D. - A board-certified ophthalmologist, Dr. McGuinness trained at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary and has been performing LASIK since it was approved by the FDA in 1996.
- Mina Shoshani, M.D. - Dr. Shoshani specializes in the treatment of pediatric eye conditions. She also provides surgical treatment for children and adults who suffer from strabismus, or crossed eyes.
- Craig Richter, M.D. - Practicing for nearly 20 years, Dr. Richter completed his residency at the renowned New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. He specializes in cataract surgery and also treats a range of eye conditions.
- Jonathan Ellant, M.D. - Dr. Ellant is a fellowship-trained cataract and refractive surgeon. He uses advanced technology to improve patients' vision and treat corneal conditions, cataracts, and more.
- Paul Krawitz, M.D. - Dr. Krawitz received his medical degree in 1985 and has trained at several prestigious institutions. He frequently lectures on advanced surgical techniques for cataracts and glaucoma.
- Lisa Paolini, M.D. - A recognized member of various ophthalmology associations, Dr. Paolini treats provides comprehensive ophthalmologic care, with special expertise in glaucoma and retinal diseases.
“When you visit one of our offices, you can expect the highest quality of service and the most technologically advanced treatment methods currently available.”
- Catherine C. Scandiffio, O.D.- Dr. Scandiffio provides comprehensive eye care, including the treatment of ocular diseases, pre- and postoperative care, contact lens fittings, and low vision services.
- Shari Berman, O.D.- Dr. Berman is a proud third-generation optometrist, providing primary eye care to children and adults. She specializes in contact lens fittings, particularly multifocal contacts, and performs pre-LASIK evaluations.
- Michelle Adams, RPA-C- Michelle Adams is qualified in general ophthalmology, with a focus on post-operative and emergency eye care. She performs routine clinical exams, and assists specialty physicians in surgery.
- Vivian Renta, O.D.- Dr. Renta has practiced optometry in New York since 1997. Previously, she served as chief of the Eye Clinic at Morrisania Diagnostic Treatment Center in the Bronx, NY.
- Albert Marcantonio, O.D.- Dr. Marcantonio has trained in various specialties including glaucoma, retinal and corneal diseases, and oculoplastics. Much of his patient treatment involves postoperative recovery.
- Amy Cavallo, M.A., CCC-A- Dr. Cavallo has extensive clinical experience in providing audiological services to adult, geriatric, and pediatric patients, as well as special needs populations.
- Theresa Dempsey, Au.D.- Dr. Dempsey has practiced audiology in clinical settings for over ten years. She has special expertise in aural rehabilitation and counseling of the hearing impaired and their families.
- Gerri Competiello, Au.D.- Dr. Competiello trained with world-renowned audiologists and otolaryngologists at The Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. She also worked as a clinical trainer for a leading hearing aid manufacturer, giving her special insight into innovative approaches to hearing amplification.
- Deborah LaBel, M.S.- Dr. Label has extensive experience working with hearing-impaired children and adults. She specializes in programming traditional and medical hearing systems while guiding families through the rehabilitation process.
Contact Us Today
The team of experts at SightMD® possesses the knowledge and experience necessary to assess and treat virtually any disease or condition of the eye. If you want to learn more about our cutting-edge medical and surgical therapies, and discover which of our practitioners can best meet your needs, please contact us today to schedule your consultation.
Our mission is to restore patients' vision using the best and safest technology.Dr. Martin & Dr. Passarelli