The holidays can be the most wonderful time of the year – or the most stressful! For people with hearing loss, social gatherings with family and friends often mean struggling to hear through tables of competing conversations and clattering dishes. Here are some things you can do to stay connected with your family and friends as you celebrate!
- Wear your hearing aids! If it’s been a while since you have seen your Audiologist, consider having a check-up before the holidays. Be sure to bring extra batteries to all holiday events.
- Don’t be shy! Let your friends and family know that you want to be a part of the conversation. Ask them to keep background noise such as music or television to a minimum and speak clearly.
- Team up! Partner with a friend or relative ahead of time who can fill you in on any bits of conversation you may miss.
- Stay rested! It’s a lot of work trying to keep up with conversations when you have hearing loss. Try to take a few minutes away from the crowd every once in a while to refresh.
- ind chances to connect with people where it’s quiet! One-on-one conversation is often much easier.
- Claim the best seat! Try to sit where you will be able to see as many people as possible. If you have a better ear, try to position yourself to maximize its use. Aim for a clear view of the people you will be talking with.
- Go easy on yourself! Group settings are a challenging for everyone. Try to keep a good sense of humor and have your best holiday by keeping realistic expectations and celebrating the positives.
The Audiologists at North Shore Eye Care & Hearing are available to assist you with all of your hearing healthcare needs. Please call us at (631) 265-8780 for a convenient appointment.