5 Ways To Prevent Vision Loss From Glaucoma
Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness worldwide. It’s characterized by abnormally high eye pressure that slowly damages the optic nerve. Unfortunately, vision loss due to glaucoma can’t be treated. That makes these steps to prevent vision loss all the more important:
- Eat well to support your eye health: Studies show that the nutrients in eye-healthy foods may prevent glaucoma better than vitamins. Try to eat leafy greens and colored fruits and vegetables every day. These foods contain beneficial vitamins and minerals.
- Protect your eyes from injury: Serious eye injuries can increase your glaucoma risk. Wear eye protection when playing certain sports, using power tools, doing yard work, lighting fireworks, or engaging in other activities that may be hazardous to your eyes.
- Embrace moderate exercise: Regular exercise at a moderate pace has been shown to lower eye pressure and improve overall health. However, intense exercise can raise eye pressure. It’s helpful to discuss your exercise routine with a doctor or personal trainer.
- Schedule regular eye exams: Regular comprehensive eye exams play a huge role in saving your eyesight. These exams can detect glaucoma early before vision loss occurs. Our eye doctors will gladly recommend the ideal screening schedule for your situation.
- Talk to your eye doctor about your medications: Steroid medications can raise your eye pressure. Oral steroids and steroid eye drops are the most likely to have this effect. If you’re taking steroids, especially for a long time or in high doses, tell our eye doctors.
Schedule an Eye Exam at SightMD
These are just a few of the ways that you might be able to prevent vision loss from glaucoma. Our eye doctors can offer additional steps based on your unique needs and circumstances. Glaucoma treatment options such as eye drops and the XEN® Gel stent procedure can also help.