Norman Saffra, MD, FACS
- Medical & Surgical Disease of the Retina
Accepting new patients
SightMD New York
Hewlett1229 Broadway Suite 210 Hewlett, NY 11557 Get Directions
- American College of Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- The Retina Society
- The American Uveitis Society
- North American Association of Neuro-Ophthalmology
Honors, Awards, etc.
- Listed in “Castle Connolly Guide: How to Find the Best Doctors (New York Metro Area)”
- Listed in New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors” issue
Teaching or Professional Positions
- Director of Ophthalmology, The Eye Institute of Maimonides Medical Center
- Ophthalmology Staff, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Ophthalmology Staff, Manhattan Eye Ear and Throat Hospital
Dr. Norman Saffra is one of the nation’s leading ophthalmic laser and microsurgeons and is known for his expertise in treating diseases that cause visual loss. He is an expert in conditions effecting the posterior segment of the eye (the back of the eye), specifically those that involve the optic nerve, or the retina and vitreous. He has extensive experience in treating diabetic eye disease, macular degeneration, retinal tears and detachments, uveitis, and the ophthalmic manifestations of systemic disease.
Dr. Saffra frequently lectures in medical schools and to physicians throughout the country and has published numerous papers in leading scientific journals. He has recently been awarded 2 patents, co-designed 2 surgical instruments with major manufacturers, and is now a consultant for the FDA’s panel of Ophthalmic Medical Devices. Additionally, he has written more than 50 papers in peer review journal, has written book chapters in textbooks, and is an editor of a soon to be published reference book on ophthalmology.
Dr. Saffra is a proud faculty member of Orbis International Flying Eye Hospital whose charitable mission is to teach local ophthalmologists in the 3rd world modern surgical techniques. He served as a team leader for the retina surgical mission to Jamaica in 2020, where he taught and performed more than 15 surgical procedures throughout one week. Dr. Saffra sees patients at the SightMD office in Hewlett, New York.