What Are the Pros and Cons of Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery?
Do you or someone you know have a condition where there is excess skin on the upper and lower eyelids? If so, there is a surgical procedure called “blepharoplasty” that involves removing this excess skin. While this operation can indeed be beneficial, there are a few points of information to be mindful of before simply making an appointment with your local eye surgeon.
Pros of Blepharoplasty Surgery
Once a person has undergone blepharoplasty, one of the main “Pros” is that the results—for the purpose of what will be a softer and more youthful appearance—will be visible relatively quickly. Eyelid surgery offers many other benefits, including:
- Your eyes are one of the first places to show signs of aging. And aging eyelids can cause a tired, angry, or sad appearance. Cosmetic eyelid surgery can combat these changes to restore a more approachable look.
- Eyelid surgery can be performed on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. Whether you’re dealing with hooded eyelids, under eye bags, loose skin, or another concern, this procedure may be a great solution.
- Loose or sagging skin on the upper eyelids can sometimes creep into your line of sight. If that happens, eyelid surgery can tighten it to restore unobstructed vision.
- It’s a good idea to set aside two weeks of downtime, though you may feel ready to return to work or attend social events even sooner. It depends on the extent of your surgery. In most cases, blepharoplasty recovery is straightforward and uneventful.
Cons of Blepharoplasty Surgery
There are, however, a few potential drawbacks, including that:
- Swelling and bruising are normal and to be expected after surgery. You may also experience dry eye or irritation. These side effects are typically mild and temporary.
- Removing too much eyelid skin or fat during surgery will create a poor outcome. You can prevent this from happening by choosing a qualified surgeon who knows how to achieve your desired results.
- You can enjoy your awake and refreshed look for many years after eyelid surgery. However, the natural aging process will continue. Protect your results with simple measures like wearing sunscreen and avoiding nicotine.
What You Can Expect with Blepharoplasty Surgery
While blepharoplasty can literally enable the patient to see more of what’s around them and make him or her look younger, the results of the procedure—while long lasting—aren’t guaranteed to stay forever, as is explained further in our blog, “How Long Does a Blepharoplasty Last?”
So, there is a lot to consider before deciding on having this specialized eyelid surgery. While a blepharoplasty may improve appearance, this operation would only be mandatory if the excess skin on a person’s eyelids is severely developed to the point where he or she cannot see.
There may be other pros and cons that are unique to your situation. If you want to learn more about what you can expect, schedule a consultation with one of our oculoplastic surgeons. If you have any other questions about blepharoplasty, reach out to the team at SightMD, who will be only too happy to help. Should you also feel that you would like—or need—to have this operation, we have highly-qualified eye surgeons to whom you can entrust the health of your vision.